Sunday, October 24, 2010

HW 10 - Food, Inc. Response

1. Please summarize the main ideas of the film in a single paragraph succinct precis.

The way we eat has changed so significantly in the past 50 years that it is even more of an astonishing fact how much we don't know about our food is produced. Although some people are aware and have tried to pass laws against food corporations such as Mcdonalds and Tyson, these companies have become so large that they cannot simply be stopped. The USDA and FDA are supposed to protect us from eating meat that is tainted (and countless other examples) but the bottom line is they haven't, and as consumers, we deserve the right to know what's really going on.

2. What does the movie offer that the book didn't? What does the book offer that the movie didn't?

The movie offers more visuals. Reading "The Omnivores Dilemma", i often found myself struggling with the vocabulary and picturing these farms and slaughterhouses and feedlots in my head. When watching the movie, i could really see for myself how horrifying these places were. Although the film offers great visuals, it does not give two opposing view points of organic foods in supermarkets.

3. What insights or questions or thoughts remain with you after watching this movie? What feelings dominate your response? What thoughts?

After watching Food, Inc i wonder why there haven't been more people taking action to try to stop the USDA and FDA. It made me wonder why I haven't done anything to stop this from happening, even by taking small steps of not eating fast food. I finished the film by friday and the next day i was already in a Burger King. I took note to why i did this and essentially i ate fast food right after watching Food, Inc because
1. I was in a mall, ironically with no where else to eat within a mile that wasn't fast food
2. Convenience
3. I was extremely hungry
So there you have it. My desire to keep myself happy and hungry overshadows any consideration to eat healthy unless I'm eating with my parents. I can say for a fact that although i cant escape the desire to eat fast food, i can cut down on eating it so frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment