Tuesday, October 12, 2010

HW 8 - Growing Our Own Food

Harry:Growing my own food was an experience that i've never had, and at the end of the day i felt proud that my sprouts had "sprouted" so much. It lead me to realize how rewarding it feels to eat food that i myself had grown from just these tiny little seeds. At first i didn't like the idea and felt like it was forced, just another thing i had to deal with but after a week and the sprouts had grown and i ate them myself, i felt like i had actually accomplished something i could never see myself taking the time in doing (growing my own food).

Richard: I really enjoyed the sprout experiment and our sprouts turned out quite delicious, we are going to make a sprout and shallot soufflé with rare goat cheese from New Hampshire accompanied by a roast free range poulet with organic green market fingerling potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes for dinner tomorrow.

Seriously, I have been practicing what Michael Pollan preaches for over 50 years and I built and operated a sustainable vegetable farm in Chiapas Mexico from 1970 to 1975. I don’t hang with Mario Batali like Mike and I don’t believe that green markets food and organic food is ever going to be a staple for the hoi polloi in the USA, just a reality for the upper middle class and the wealthy, a shameful thing.

Currently we practice micro agriculture and grow chile peppers on our terrace which we bottle as hot sauce for friends and family every year.

In our household we eschew all processed and fast food and eat healthy home-made meals every day.

PS, my oldest son Wolfram is dedicated to providing healthy food for the poor and less privileged in California and has basically worked at this all of his life.

http://www.wolframalderson.com/about_us

No comments:

Post a Comment