Wednesday, December 8, 2010

HW 21 - Expert #1

The most important insights and experiences shared by the quest speaker
1. Her idea of a "Honeymoon from death" or a false hope
2. Her last emotional days with her husband
3. Her family never used the word "dying" when her husband was in fact dying
4. Her husband was diagnosed with kidney cancer thanksgiving eve
5. The hospital her husband was taken to took great care of him

3. Her family never used the word "dying" when her husband was in fact dying
- My grandma was 94, a very old age and our family knew that her time was coming to. I knew it as well, but my mom and dad never discussed it with me. Although my parents knew i was smart enough to catch on, they would never discuss the fact that she was dying let alone use the word "dying itself".
4. Her husband was diagnosed with kidney cancer thanksgiving eve
- My family and i knew that my grandma was going to die, but we never knew when it would happen. She was dying of old age, not a disease. We had a better idea of when she would die when had an accident falling. She finally passed away on september 11th. Although not a national holiday like thanksgiving, i believed this was a significantly depressing date because of the september 11, 2001 events that took place.
Beth's presentation sparked the question of "what will i do when someone very very close to me dies?" Not to say that my cat and grandma weren't close to me but what i mean is someone like my mother or father. Beth seemed to handle the situation very well, this made me think of how i might handle this situation when it approaches. Beths presenation also made me question how i will handle my death if i get a disease such as cancer, or just have a good feeling in general of when i am about to die (lying in hospital, very old). Beths husband seemed to handle the situation of dying during the last months well, which is again, something i don't think i would be able to handle if i knew i was going to die in 9 months.



2 comments:

  1. Harry,

    In your blog post, you gave examples of similar experiences that was presented by Beth describing the death of her husband. Something that struck in me in your blog was how you wanted to know how you would handle illness and dying now because of Beth's presentation. I'm curious as to why "now" after hearing Beth's presentation put you in a mindset of "what if" this happened to me, then what would I do? For me, since Beth's presentation I feel that I would still handle dying and illness the way I wanted too("I'm not sure what way that is"), but it would be a secondary source to how I could possibily react to news like I was to die or become very ill.
    Brief note once your finish doing your blog for the future, if you could re-read and clear up any mistakes and ordor of thought.

    Insightful Post!
    Christian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harry,

    Great blog post. I liked how you were able to connect Beth's story to your own life and how you showed that they are very similar. Both your family and Beth's family never used the word dying or talked about death even though everyone knew that it was coming. I thought that it would have been nice if you had also said how you felt when once your grandma or your cat had died. I can relate to what you wrote at the end of your post when you said "Beths husband seemed to handle the situation of dying during the last months well, which is again, something i don't think i would be able to handle if i knew i was going to die in 9 months." I agree with you. I would never be able to handle knowing that I was going to die in 9 months. This could be because we are still very young and we probably won't dye for another 60 or 70 years (unless we become sick). We are not expecting to die, and if we become sick it may scare or startle us because we though that death would take a lot longer to happen.

    Great post!

    Dean

    ReplyDelete