Friday, December 17, 2010

HW 23 - Illness & Dying Book, Part 2

Title: tuesdays with Morrie
Author: Mitch Albom
Publisher: Doubleday
Year Published: 1997

Precis: pg 80-90
On the fourth tuesday that morrie and mitch meet (since mitch first came to visit), they talk about death. Morrie brings up points about how people often deny that they will die. They push death away until becomes apparent in their lives. Morrie believes that if more people just accept their death earlier on, they can focus on the essentials. What they need, not what they want.

Quotes:
" 'The truth is, Mitch' he said, 'once you learn how to die, you learn how to live.' "

"We are too involved in materialistic things, and they don't satisfy us. The loving relationships we have, the universe around us, we take these things for granted."

" 'Well, the truth is, if you really listen to that bird on your shoulder, if you accept that you can die at any time- then you might not be as ambitious as you are'

I forced a small grin"

Final Thoughts:
Thinking back, i remember when my cat was dying. I was in complete denial, in fact even my parents denied it to me. I was only 9 years old and when i found out that being "put to sleep" meant going away forever i broke down into hysteria. In this case i relate to morrie. If my parents let me embrace the fact that something close to me was dying the acceptance might have been greater when my cats time was up. Then again, i was only 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment